lichess.org
Donate

Greek Gift Sacrifice?

very interesting! i often get the (correct) feeling that the sacrifice is correct but i still find it hard to find the optimal continuations, like (black pov) do i choose h5-h4, Qg5, Qe5, or sometimes even f5-Rf6!?

the fact that you couldn't find the right followup either makes me feel a bit better about myself :p
@lightsss yeah, It was hard! Maybe pratically better is not sacrificing but playing Qe5. After g3, then maybe Bg4...?
@#1

Ha, it took me a while to see why just Qe5 g3 c5 didn't work. Queen gets trapped, very silly.

Unfortunate loss. If I ignore the engine eval it really does look like your Qe5 g3 Bg4 line is incredibly strong, but the engine gives the sac as being huge. It's just so much harder to find the continuations - maybe not as good of a practical choice short of tournament time controls! Then again, I'm a very weak player so maybe you guys can really find ideas like 11...h5 Rh1 h4!!
@Tangelo777 yeah, he didn't have enough pieces in the attack in that Greek Gift.

@Hedgehogs4Me I think Qe5 g3 Bg4 against a human is easily winning. I would have never thought about h5-h4 because well, Rh1 stops it. Really clever idea!
yeah Qe5 followed by Bg4 and then maybe c5 (distracting the N to play Bf3) black has a really strong attack. its hard to resist the sac when your intuition tells you its right though :p

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.